Sunday, May 1, 2011

Professionally Speaking

I love going on social outings with my teaching colleagues. When we typically spend our professional conversations around tables sized for ~ 7-year-olds, there seems to stand a little more than just elbow room when we gather around a table on a saturday afternoon for brunch.

Some conversations led to the evolution of technology where some complained about contraptions I had definitely never set eyes on. One comment led to me explaining the perks of Google Applications.

The teacher in questions was organizing order's for the entire school to order t-shirts for our upcoming FIeld Day event. She explained her frantic organization of what seemed like thousands of papers screaming shirt sizes and quantities at her with names and class numbers spitting in her eye.

"Google Apps!" I said, "Would be the answer to your prayers."

She was compelled when I explained she could create one sheet to share with others and receive the information back automatically.

"I'll have to explore this," she said.

"Yes," I replied, "And you'll have to come to my chat about it on June 9th."

;)

2 comments:

  1. Because of this class--I am in love with Google Apps as well! Sadly, I don't think a lot of people really take advantage of the many ways Google Apps can simplify working and teaching in your daily life. How can we get more educators to expand their knowledge around technology? It should be mandatory in ed classes that all students use Google Apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is time consuming thinking of all the different ways Google Apps can benefit a school - time consuming in an awesome way!

    I think the best thing for us to do as Google Apps Praisers is talk it up as much as we can to colleagues... suggest using it for a team project, or inform a colleague about how it may help a situation they are in during conversation.

    I think letting administrators and school leaders know about your discoveries is important as well. If you have a good idea for your school you should share it with someone who can help you take it forward.

    :)

    ReplyDelete