Sunday, September 12, 2010

Getting Declarative

I am a public school teacher.

I wake up before the sun and am probably in my office before you brew your morning coffee.

I didn't get into this by default or because spring, summer and the three o'clock hour offer freedom.

I didn't get into it because it's easy (it's not) or because it was the only thing to do.


I got into it for the kids, but realize I'm in it for the world.


I don't babysit... A 16 year old babysits - I do more.



I talk, I inspire, I enhance - I'm more than just one teacher, I'm more than just one job.

I flip through my roladex of skills and understandings with the speed of that businessman and then execute with the knowhow and precision of a surgeon; sewing up wounds in reading, mending bones in math, helping kids stand in new situations.

I experiment. Guess and check and guess and check to ensure I am finding ways to turn what I know into what they know.

I am on my tippy-toes longer than a ballerina, dancing with and around the pressures put on me and my students by this city.

I paint on canvases Van Gogh and Divinci never touched, swirling my paints into activities far away from chalkboards and boredom.



I still believe a kid can be a kid can be a kid can be a kid, especially in a classroom, even though others  have such a hard time believing it too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. "I flip through my rolodex of skills and understandings with the speed of that businessman and then execute with the know how and precision of a surgeon; sewing up wounds in reading, mending bones in math, helping kids stand in new situations." You speak for so many teachers, especially in this unfair blame game where the once noble profession of teaching is being slandered. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete